220021 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Spanish Fort, Alabama (Air Miles)
Meaher State Park
2014-06-05 11:12:21
Spanish Fort, Alabama
March 2014

4   5   5   2   5   3   8
question  yes  yes  question  question  question  question
question  question  question  question  question  question  question
March 2014
An underdeveloped state park campground. Wooded, hilly, with dirt/gravel road, with widely separated semicircular pull-through sites that conform to the sloping terrain, i.e., uneven, needing leveling. They did have water/sewer/electric by the site. Did not see a bathhouse. There was a historic battle here with an old town site a mile away. Not much to see. At $30 overpriced. Strictly an expensive overnight stop. There is a Meaher Alabama state park south about 7 miles that is much superior, that I didn't know of. We camped here in a Motorhome.
We did not stay here, but drove through on Labor day weekend. The CG is very "unimproved." The roads are gravel, steep and washed out, and while there is full hook ups, it looks like someone went through with a dozer, cleared off some semi circle areas and put in full hook ups. This could be a jem if they ever go through and level out the sites, asphalt the roads and RV sites and asphalt the historic park. To us it looks like it is run on the bare minimum of dollars, such a shame. That said, if you have a smaller rig, say under 28 foot, do not mind being unlevel but like the place to yourself, you may love this park! We went through on Labor Day weekend and saw maybe 2 or 3 units. I would not recommend this as a big rig campground even though some of the pull throughs are huge. The turns are tight and you have trees to contend with as well. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
March 2011
This park has a new RV campground area (Apalachee Campground), this is what I am reviewing. The sites are very big and have full hookups. They are quite private and wooded. As of the time of this writing, I would Not bring a large RV here unless you are pulling with a 4 wheel drive. The road is newer, but not paved in the campground. It is already eroding away, some sites are not accessible due to this. I was very uncomfortable driving through it due to the road condition. It is very rustic, a beautiful park as a whole. The bathhouse is not near the RV park, but way down the road near the tent camping. The roads need to be paved badly. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Blakeley State Park

yes  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  question  yes  question  yes
yes  question  no  yes  yes  yes  question  yes  question  yes
Paved interior roads and sites, which are fairly level. High water pressure, quality good. No problems with power or WiFi, a few over the air TV channels. Some road noise but not excessive. Beautiful vista, right on the river. The biggest problem is the sewer hookups. They are installed too high, making it very difficult to drain tanks. Before leaving, it was necessary to reposition my rig as close to the drain as possible to empty. I saw several others doing the same thing. There is no dump station on site. Because of this drawback, I am not sure I would use this park in the future. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Great park. Huge lots with 50 feet of grassed space between and behind each lot. Safe, secure, quiet, including a 300' fishing pier, yet minutes from bay front restaurants, USS Alabama and downtown historical district of Mobile. This park is classified as lakefront. However, it has waterfront lots on Ducker Bay, which is part of Mobile Bay with direct ocean access. This body of water is the same one that has the battleship USS Alabama moored on. One word of advise. Alabama State Parks' reservation system is unreliable, if not completely broken. I telephoned on the Thursday morning before Memorial weekend for a 4 day reservation and was told they were fully booked for Fri, Sat, Sun. Only Thursday night was available. I was only a couple of hours away, so I decided to turn up and hope for a cancellation. When I arrived and asked if there were any cancellations I was told "No problem, we have availability for 4 nights." It turned out that there were 15-17 empty spaces every day. And I was told by regulars that this happens every weekend. My rate was $29 Thursday and Sunday, $34 Friday and Saturday. We would definitely stay here again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
We stayed here 3 nights as we were heading out west. The location is great with easy access. The sites are very good size and are paved with picnic table and grill. Our site was on the bay and very pretty. The water was calm this morning and saw several alligators. The bath house was nice and the grounds were well kept with flowers and a nice fishing pier. The showers could have been cleaner and hard to get pressure which you cannot control. The shower curtains need to be bleached, as they had black mold spots. The rest of the bath house was clean. WIFI was good but regular antenna stations were intermittent. There is interstate noise as I-10 crosses over the bay directly in front of the campground. There is supposed to be a maximum 14 day stay but appears to be more permanent type camping towards the back of the park. Tents were also in the playground area but did not look like campsites. This is a good park for an overnight stay. We would stay here again if passing through the Mobile area. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Display older reviews for Meaher State Park