Nearby Payson, Arizona (Air Miles)
Giant Station
Payson
Mario'S - Payson
La Casa Pequena
300 N Beeline Hwy
Mazatzal Hwy. 87 At Milepost 251 Payson Az 85547 928-474-6044 (Located To Zip)
Payson Rv Center
Ox Bow Estates RV Park
2014-10-31 15:41:16
Payson, Arizona

yes (Stream)
This is a National Forest Service campground, located in a beautiful area that is surrounded by Ponderosa pines and other forest foliage, with Christopher Creek running thru the campground. The fall colors were a nice in contrast to the Phoenix desert area that we traveled from. Sites have plenty of room around them. You can't reach out and touch your next door neighbor. There are fire rings, BBQ grills, and you can fish in the stream. Vault toilets and no dump station in the campground, but you can dump at the Ponderosa campground about 3 miles down the road. There are bears in the area. The upper loop of the campground was closed due to recent bear sightings and there was evidence of bears throughout the campground. Website says no trailers over 22', but there are sites that can accommodate larger vehicles. We stayed in a 26' RV and had plenty of room. You can't make reservations for this campground. It's first-come first served only. We arrived late on a fall Friday evening and were able to find a suitable site. Not sure how crowded it gets during the summer, though. We'll definitely visit again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
May 2013

6   7   7   6   7   10
question  question  question  question  question  yes
question  question  question  question  question  yes
May 2013
We returned again to this RV park, which is largely for permanent, full-timers. They maintain very few transient spots, and offer very few amenities. But, they are convenient to visiting family, and we will return again. The park is quiet, with good utilities but no Wi-Fi at the sites (available in the clubhouse). Satellite access can be problematic because of the abundance of tall, mature trees. But on the other hand, they do provide nice shade. Roads are paved, sites are gravel, level, and large with easy in/out access. The fuel station across the road has the best diesel prices in the area. We camped here in a Motorhome.
May 2010
We stayed here about 4 years ago and the park has changed dramatically in that time. It is essentially all park models now, with very few vacant sites for transients, all of which appear to be back-in sites. The roads are paved; it is very neat, clean, and quiet with a large number of mature trees. It was a lovely park in which to ride our bicycles. It was very close to our relatives in Payson, so we will probably return. The park was not willing to reserve a site for our 4-day stay, but our Payson relatives were able to arrange for our site in advance. We camped here in a Motorhome.
November 2008
There are not a lot of options in Payson for large rigs to overnight. When we made the call to this park to overnight we were told we don't really do that. They did find a spot for us and we stayed 3 days. The previous poster is right this is a park designed for park models. The residence are very friendly and the park is clean. There is a nice dog walking area. The park is really located in Starr Valley but still close enough to Payson. Payson is a beautiful mountain town with wonderful views and a great climate. We highly recommend breakfast at the Payson airport. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Display older reviews for Lamplighter RV Resort (55+ Park)
June 2010

yes  yes
question  question
June 2010
This is a Sitgreaves National Forest campground without any hookups or shower facilities. It’s about a half mile west of the popular Woods Canyon Lake camping area. This campground doesn’t have quite the forest feel that some of the other national forest campgrounds in the area have. I believe this is due to a couple of things. The ponderosa pines in this area are small to medium size. The cul-de-sac design, where you park parallel to your site, gives this campground an “in-town” feeling. Each site has a fire ring / grill combo, a picnic table, and an area for tent campers to set up. The layout of the campground felt a little crowded. Adjacent sites had distance but not much in the way of thick vegetation between them. Some sites were right across the loop road from each other. The hosts were very friendly. The vault toilet (only one for the campground) was busy during the weekend we stayed. The real plus was access to the Rim Lakes Vista Trail from within the campground. After 10 minutes of walking, you’ll be at your first outlook from the Mogollon Rim. The views were spectacular from this trail. We would consider staying here again, but would try to avoid summer weekends. We camped here in a Motorhome.
May 2009
Nice forest service campground in the Ponderosa pines. Has a nice trail leading to the scenic Rim Vista trail or you can bushwhack a fairly short distance to the undeveloped area of the Mogollon Rim. For camping right on the edge of the Rim continue on FR 300 about another mile to FR 9350 on the left. (see the map here http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/asnf/maps/images/rim_lakes_map.pdf) We walked there and there were some spectacular RV and tent sites right on the edge of the Rim. We camped here in a Motorhome.
October 2014

1   10   2   4   6   4   8   6   4
question  question  question  question  yes  question  question  question  no
question  question  question  question  yes  yes  question  question  question
October 2014
I called ahead to this park to see if there was a space available and was told yes. I also said I was a Passport America member and got the Parks info from the PA book which said the PA rate was $14 for a night. I also told them I had a 37 ft fifth wheel. No problem they said. When I arrived I found the Park to be not as nice as indicated and when I was going to check in they told me the PA rate was in fact $27.80 per night not the $14. I showed them the PA 2014 book and the rate and they could care less. Its a difficult Park to get to with a 37 ft fifth wheel and it would have been horrid to try and park it in such a tight location. This is not the Park they claim and I would avoid it. It appears to me that they are scamming people by having a book rate different than when you get there, assuming that you would be reluctant to leave after getting there. I left and will never visit this Park again and would suggest that others do so unless you are in a tent. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
We were very pleasantly surprised that this turned out to be such a nice RV park after many old negative reviews. The park is under new management. It is very rustic with many trees and a cool bridge going over a wash. It has the feel of a wooded national park with the addition of all the services: electric/water/sewer/Wi-Fi/cable/laundry, and a ramada for groups. The sites are level and well groomed. It is mostly dirt but with a pebble top. I am really delighted that we chose to stay here and even extended our stay an extra day. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
The rate is Passport America. The manager is friendly and helpful. 50amp service is weak, could only run one AC. Water is good. No local TV stations with antenna. Cable is available if you have a conversion box. Satellite was good. Verizon cell was good but hotspot is weak. I did not hear barking dogs as others have stated. I was here to visit a friend so wasn't around to socialize with other campers. Entire campground is dirt, most sites are not easy to level, dust flies when vehicles drive past, lots of ruts caused by rain run off that are not repaired. I will look for another park if I return to this area. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Ox Bow Estates RV Park

question  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  question  question  question  no
question  question  yes  question  yes  yes  question  question  question  no
Stayed 2 months. Lots of Dog poop all around the park. Lots were not cleaned up after people left and the next people had to put up with the garbage. When checking in was taken to the lot and told by the lady you are on your own I don't help. Around in the back side it could be hard to back in on your own with out help. The lot we had washed away after every rain storm and trying to get it fixed was useless. Will not go back until things get fixed. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
This park is one of those parks that advertises gravel sites and roads, but forgets that the gravel was put in 15 years ago. The grounds are 80% dirt and little pea gravel. This park is a dust bowl! The park offers no propane or supplies of any kind. The WiFi is poor and there is one trash bin for 80 sites. When I contacted the office in regards to receiving a package, I was told to contact the Post Office for a P.O. Box. Receiving customer's mail was too much trouble for them. There are three parks down the road. We camped here in a Motorhome.
March 2013
Narrow sites leave no room for awnings, picnic table or fire ring unless you have a small rig under 32'. Water pressure very low. 50amp sites for long term stays, most sites 30amp only. Park seems friendly until they have your money, then they think they can say whatever they like to you and if you don't like it you can leave, and no refunds. WiFi ok for web surfing and email, but will not support streaming movies or Skype. We will not stay here again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Payson Campground RV Resort

April 2012
No shower and only pit toilets, but a beautiful spot. There are some trails. It is quiet and peaceful. I used my "Geezer Pass" for the half rate. Friendly hosts. We camped here in a Motorhome.
May 2012

May 2012
A great, quiet spot to spend a few days. Willow Springs Lake is nearby for fishing and boating. Some trails nearby for hiking or biking. Pit toilets are new and very clean. I was the only camper in the loop, so it was very nice. Friendly hosts. Managed now on contract with Thousand Trails Inc. We camped here in a Motorhome.

yes  yes  yes  question  question  yes  yes  yes  question  yes
yes  question  question  no  question  yes  question  question  question  yes
Previous reviewers have given a pretty accurate picture of the campground. It is attractive, with Ponderosa Pines and fairly dense undergrowth. I found that there was a considerable amount of road noise, audible anywhere in the campground. This noise comes from both State Highway 87, and Houston Mesa Road, which has a surprising amount of traffic. We have a 40' motorhome, pulling a full size truck, and found only a handful of sites that would accommodate our rig. Many sites are sloped enough that leveling a larger rig would be impossible. Most of the pull through sites have bends that would be difficult if not impossible in a large rig. There are also many tree limbs that intrude into the parking spaces. We ended up on a pull through, but we backed into it. Verizon 3G was very slow. The restrooms and showers ($2 for 6 minutes) were clean. The multitude of hosts seem to do a good job of keeping the campground neat and clean. Our site had been freshly raked. The dump station is posted with a fee of $7.00, and fresh water posted at $.25/ gallon!!! I questioned a host on this, and was told that registered campers do indeed have to pay the $7.00 dump fee, but the water is free. I have been camping for almost 50 years, owned an RV for over 30 years, and have been a fulltimer for almost 9 years, and have never encountered a facility that charged registered campers for the use of the dump station. The host I spoke to said that this was a new policy this year, and she did not like it either. I hope this is not the beginning of a trend. I feel that this campground is already pretty pricey for what it offers. As a final nuisance, there is a host site on the exit of the dump station. He/she has installed a portable garage for their personal vehicle, which blocks a substantial portion of the road exiting the dump station. I decided to drive my truck through the dump station, in order to better gauge if there was sufficient clearance for my motorhome. There was a visitor at the hosts site completely blocking the exit, so I had to back out. I should also point out that this campground charges $7.00 per night for an extra vehicle. I carry a motorcycle on the back of the motorhome, and pull a truck with an ATV on the bed. I inquired before registering how the extra vehicle policy would apply. I was told that as long as the vehicles were towed in, there would be no additional charge. Later, I was told (by a different host) that if I unloaded my ATV (street legal in AZ) I would have pay the $7.00 per day for it. I asked about if I unloaded the motorcycle, and was told there would be no charge for that???? I think the extra vehicle policy may be open to the interpretation of each host???? I also found the posting of rules to be a bit lacking. Normally we will see common things such as quiet hours, generator hours, and checkout times clearly posted. Not here. I doubt that I would return to this campground again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
March 2014
Poor value for the money. In March, the shower was shut down. The dump station is out of order. Sites are tightly vegetated in many cases. Right next to a town highway and its noise. Does not compare well at all to an AZ state park dry camping site for the same or less money. We camped here in a Motorhome.
April 2012
Quiet campground just a couple of miles from Payson. Friendly host. No trails. Dump station is $7 and water to fill up is $.25 a gallon. Basic, but worth a stop. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Tonto National Forest / Houston Mesa Campground
April 2010

10   8   10
yes  yes  yes
question  question  no
April 2010
Our stay at this Tonto National Forest campground was enjoyable. The campground is located about 12 miles northeast of Payson on AZ 260. Under the canopy of the tall pines, we had a sense of really being out in the woods even though it’s convenient to the highway. A sign near the entrance directs you to find a spot. A host will find you later to collect the fee. Some sites had reserved signs, but there were plenty of sites available for walk-ins. We were here on a Friday at the end of April. The campground was not full. Summer weekends might be another matter. The loops and sites where you park are paved. The picnic and campfire areas are on the forest floor. Each site has a picnic table, fire ring/grill combo, and a separate pedestal grill. We stayed at back-in site C2. We needed to use 3” leveling blocks on the front tires due to the incline. Other sites are more level. They also have pull-through sites. This is a dry camping campground without any hookups. Their dump station was closed when we visited. They have drinking water and enclosed vault toilets scattered throughout the campground. You know you’re not alone, but we felt there was plenty of space between sites. We collected dry wood in the forest to use in our campfire. They also sell firewood. We will definitely be staying here again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
September 2006
While the National Park book shows spur lengths to be 22', there are several on the outer edge that are over 40 feet in length. We took a 50 foot tape measure after talking to the camp host and checked out the sites he recommended. Beautiful, quiet campground which is rarely crowded since it's completely dry-camping. There is a dump station at the camp but was out of service this weekend. Potable water is available at several spots in the campground. We camped here in a Motorhome.
2003
This is a small campground in the Tonto Nat'l Forest just 15 miles outside of Payson off route 260. It's camping like it's suppose to be. It's located at 5,600 ft just below the Mogollon Rim in a stand of Ponderosa pines. This is one of my favorite places to get away for the week-end and sit by the campfire and relax. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.