Nearby Avila Beach, California (Air Miles)
Avila Beach

3   2   7   4
no  no  question  yes
yes  question  question  yes
February 2012
This park has a few RV hook-ups, but access is limited to shorter rigs. We had a small cycle trailer that made us 32 feet total, so only the dry camp area was available. Most of the acreage has been converted to park cabins. They charged extra for pool use (not included in overnight fees) and for each dog per day though there were no services like walk areas for dogs. The restaurant would have been a great attraction, but was not operating at all this year. There are no other restaurants in the vicinity. We will skip this hot spring camp next year. We camped here in a Motorhome.
March 2009
I stayed one night and then had to leave. The noise was horrible from Hwy 101. The dirt from the camp site got inside everywhere. The site was so close to the other trailers that it took over 1/2 hour to back in. The smell of sulphur was unbearable and had to keep the windows closed. The overall camp ground was run down, dirty,dusty. The sewer was opposite the trailer, so I had to run the hose under the trailer. Even the cabins looked run down. The staff was friendly. I ended up going to the county and stayed there where it was great and at least quiet and did not smell. I did not even try the pool for the sulphur smell was too over bearing. I will never go here again. I will go to Morro Bay before coming back. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
November 2008
I visited this park in the early 1990's; at that time it was a traditional RV park with hot spring facilities. They have installed 30 "cabins" (small mobile homes) which are rented out. Many are occupied by long term or permanent residents. Depending on the time of year there may be 4 to 15 "cabins" available for short term rentals. There are eight RV sites with 25 foot length limit and two at 30 feet. We parked our 30 foot fiver on the long site (N). It took moderate side to side leveling, and a lot of front to rear leveling. There is an olympic size heated (not hot) pool and a hot pool. Facilities are shabby but in working order. Massage and a water aerobics class are available. Entrance to the pools is $10 per person per day. The weekly RV rate is $250 (about $36 per day) which includes free pool access, so if two persons use the pools daily, the cost of the RV site (minus $20 pool fee savings) is about $16 per day. There is an Italian restaurant on site which has excellent and reasonably priced food, same menu for lunch and for dinner, closed Sundays. Dining room seats about 50 and is staffed by a cook and 3 assistants who take orders, serve food, and bus dishes, so waits can be very long on busy days. Lots of traffic noise including hordes of motorcycles on weekends, but traffic is light during the night. Few barking dogs, few children, no mowers or leaf blowers: hooray! We would stay here again. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Display older reviews for Aviala Hot Springs Resort
October 2013

question  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes
question  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes
October 2013
Overall, I found this place to be just OK. On the plus side, it is near Avila Beach and right next door to (walking distance) the Avila Valley Barn, which has fresh produce, outstanding baked goods, local preserves, honey and such, and a ton of barnyard animals for the kids to admire and learn about. It's one of our favorite stops along the central coast. The campground is pretty average though in my opinion. Spaces are tight even though I have a small travel trailer and requested and paid for a larger site. I like to have a little space around my rig so the kids and dogs have a little room to run around. Plus, I don't like opening up all the curtains in the morning only to find myself staring at a bunch of ugly RV graphics on the rig next door. That pretty much summed up the view we had out of three of the four sides of our trailer. Mercifully, we had a grass area off the back the provided a little "outdoor" scenery from our spot. What really annoyed me though was the lack of detailed information on the KOA web site. There was no site map or a list of the rules so having never been there before, I had to choose what seemed to be the best area of the park for our needs rather blindly. Upon check-in though, I was provided with a very nice printed park map. Why they can't post this to the web site so guests can review it in advance is beyond me. It's 2013 people! Then I was provided with a list of rules "as long as my arm" and it was then that I discovered that the grassy area behind our spot, which I paid extra for, did not allow dogs on it, at all. Not even if we were walking from the site to the pet area, which turned out to be about as far away from us as it could be. We did not use the on-site restrooms, showers, laundry or other services so I can't comment on these. We only stayed overnight before moving on so our needs were pretty simple. Overall, an average place for the price. More information on their web site to allow guests to get a better idea of the park's layout and rules prior to arriving there would have gone a long way towards a better experience. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Small quiet park. Sites are back to back and real close side by side. Nice staff, some grass and trees. Not close to any eating places, but can drive to close beaches and food. Easy in and out to freeway. It is a mite overpriced for the park facility, but you are paying for what is nearby. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
We had to be in Pismo Beach for a family event, and this RV park was recommended to us and glad we took their advice. It is located close to Avila Beach which is a great place to see. The washers/dryers were clean, moderately priced, and the restroom/showers were also very clean. Being so close to the beach and having a minimum of asphalt creates areas where sand is tracked in. We chose to be in a small site, but will definitely choose to park in a larger site next time, just for the room to put out more chairs. We enjoyed watching the children play as we walked around the park, and when taking our small dog to the dog area for exercise. This is a convenient, clean, friendly staffed, easily accessible, and dog-friendly park. We did not go the local market nearby, but will next time in the area. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Avila / Pismo Beach KOA