219095 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Lompoc, California (Air Miles)
La Purisima Mission Sta
Jalama Beach Park
2014-08-15 21:50:29
Lompoc, California

yes (Ocean)
question  question  no  yes  question  question  no  question  yes  question
yes  question  question  no  question  question  yes  question  yes  question
Now one of my favorite parks. Just got back from a week of camping in our 35 ft travel trailer. We stayed up top in space 111. This space has electric hookups, but no water or sewer. There is an on-site dump station and hose bibs every 4-6 campsites - opposite side of the street from the campsites themselves so you are not running a hose through another persons campsite. The view from up top was unreal at times. If I were to stay again, it would be up top and maybe a couple of sites on the mid-level of the park. I would not stay down on the bottom sites. There are some good sites down there, but you are literally parking in the sand on those (not bad if you like a lot of sand in your stuff - not exactly what we want), and the view is not as good. On the bottom level, there are no sites with electric that I saw, but you can use a generator if you have one. I do not know the quite hours. Down on the bottom, there are a ton of tents. Probably 85-95% of the tents are on the bottom near the small playground. There were trailers mixed in with the tents down there. I would not stay here in a tent. The wind kicks up every late evening and there were some really big gusts at night. I don't know how those people put up with it. Up on top, they allowed people to park sideways if they fit into the lines and also gave a lot of leeway with letting people overhang onto the road. There was plenty of room for everyone to pass, so it was not a problem. It helped us to get a lot more space behind our trailer near the campfire ring. I saw a few 40 ft motorhomes pull in up there and they were probably sticking out into the road 6-8 feet. They barely fit whatever site number they were in. Our trailer being 35 feet, we still had 10 feet to the fence behind us and could park my truck on one side of the trailer near my slides and still had my awning fully out on the other side - good room width wise. The beach was great for the most part. There was some tar bubbles, for lack of a better description down on the beach. They are not always easily seen when you are walking on the beach and I had to really scrub to get the black stuff off my feet later in the day. If you watch out for it, you will be OK. One day out of 5 we sat down and had nothing but sand flies attacking us. We did not sit in that area for the rest of the trip and had no real issue after. The Jalama Burgers are really good as everyone else has stated. Almost $7 for them, but they were great on the first and last day camping. The road getting there is 14 miles long after you turn off highway 1 and it is a skinny little road at times, but easily manageable if you know how to drive. The Wi-Fi at the park was pretty decent once you get connected. This was our first trip there and we will be going back as soon as possible. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
We are brand new to RVing and this is our first stay in a county park. The place is Very much worth visiting. I was concerned about the road coming in based on other reviewer comments but in our 38 foot coach pulling a toad it was no problem. It is challenging but very passable and the traffic is very light. As you near the park, you will crest a hill and the ocean comes spectacularly into view. It is truly beautiful. Our space 112 is very much adequate for our large RV. Spot 112 is up at the top of the park which has the most commanding views. At this point in our experience, I have a difficult time imagining a better place to park for a couple of days. We camped here in a Motorhome.
February 2014
Wonderful beach and, as others have said, down a long winding, narrow road. It was very foggy, which led to some white knuckle driving. Our site was right on the beach and we actually parked on the sand. It was very windy and we had to dig our rug out of the sand each morning. The hamburger shack was extremely slow with orders. It took 45 minutes for a burger, and several people asked for their money back and to cancel their order. Overall we liked the campground and we will come again. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Jalama Beach Park
January 2012

8   8   6   3   6
question  yes  no  question  yes
question  question  no  question  yes
January 2012
We stayed here 4 nights. We had a view of the river, nice trees. The park has a lake and lots of picnic area. We used the picnic table next to our RV, however. It was a great location for visiting our family in Lompoc and the side trips we made to Hearst Castle, Solvang and the beaches. The mission is very close by which includes miles of hiking trails. We would stay here again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
August 2010
This was a great park to stay in. There was no TV or Wi-Fi, but the park made up for it. Camp host was very friendly. Sites were well spaced. We will stay here again. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
May 2010
Sites have side by side hookups so only one of a pair are convenient for use. Although there is a park host, never saw them. You pick a site then go back and register placing payment in an envelope and into the "iron ranger." The basic FHU site is $20 per night. BUT, if you have a toad it is an additional $10 per night and dogs are $1 per night for each. Showers are 3 minutes for $.25 and really needed a good cleaning. We were here on business so this place was better than the high dollar park in Buellton. We would stay here again if coming to Lompoc. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for River Park RV Campground