Nearby Raymond, California (Air Miles)
Bodie State Historic P
Raymond, California

question  question  yes  question  yes  yes  question  yes  yes  yes
question  question  yes  question  yes  yes  question  yes  yes  yes
October 2013
This was a very pleasant campground, but trees and location meant no view of the lake. Had no trouble getting satellite reception, but no cell service at all. I had a full hookup site for the price shown with a senior federal pass. I only spent one night because of the lack of cell service, but would come back again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
February 2013
This is a Corp of Engineer campground on Eastman Lake about 20 miles outside of Chowchilla. The rate reflects a dry camping site with a federal senior discount card. We chose the dry camping site since it is one of the few sites that have a view of the lake. Most sites do not. The reservoir is very low, so it is a ways away. The road in is rough, as pointed out by a prior reviewer, but not that bad. Most of the roads in California are in very bad shape now. However, do watch the railroad crossing; it gave us a good bump. As noted, there are hookup sites of varying kinds. When we were there, we had only dozen other campers, so lots of room. Many of the sites are very, very sloped where we would not be able to level. Our Verizon phone worked on and off. The data did not work at all. Most of the sites would not have a problem getting satellite. There is not a lot to do, so go if like the peace and quite and nice dark skies. We will definitely stay here again if in the ares. We camped here in a Motorhome.
July 2012
This is a very nice COE park BUT the roads in (Avenue 26 and some of Road 29) are horrible!! We will not stay here again only because of them. Once you get onto park property, the roads to and in the campgrounds are good. Now, about the campground...we had an electric/water site only but there are about 5 sites with sewer. We were right across from the bathhouses so there was no problem there. Bathhouses are clean; one shower per side (male/female). No Verizon service until you get back to Chowchilla. Apparently, AT&T is the phone service of choice in this area. There is wifi service at the check-in area. Each campsite has a fire ring and picnic table and many have roofs over the tables. Although most sites have trees, we didn't see any what you would call "shady sites" as we drove through. As I said, we liked this COE park a lot but will not visit again until roads are improved, especially Avenue 26. BTW, Save Mart right at Exit 170, is a lovely grocery store and had delicious mussels!! We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Display older reviews for Codorniz Recreation Area Campground COE

yes  question  question  yes  question  yes  yes  yes  question  question
yes  question  question  yes  question  yes  yes  yes  question  question
This campground is run by the Army Corps of Engineers, which makes for an unusual setup. Some campsites have electricity and water, some have one or the other. We stayed in Loop C Space 31 which had both 50 amp and water. At first we didn't really care for the site because there was a steep slope off to one side. After looking at all the other sites we decided it wasn't so bad. None of the pull-through sites we saw had any hookups. Make sure when you choose a site (either online or in person) that you look carefully at whether or not there are hookups. Many sites had electricity but not water, which is very unusual. The Corps has done an excellent job providing other amenities such as covered picnic tables, fire pits, BBQs, and lantern poles. The main job of the volunteer camp host is to rake each campsite - they are pristine when you pull in! The sites are asphalt but very narrow. Some are a bit of work to back into. All are built into a hilly area so lots of slopes and need to level from side-to-side. Lake was at an all-time low so many sites that would normally be right on the water, aren't. Would definitely come back when the lake is full. Great place to go with a mix of RVers and tent campers as tent campers can choose any site. There's a fairly new playground for kids, nothing for dogs, except a lot of foxtails. Best entry is from the south, through Madera. The road in from Chowchilla is long, hilly, and a bit confusing with lots of turns. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Rate reflects Senior Pass Discount. Electric available at site but water was not available for direct hookup. Some sites could hook into water but spigots were not site specific. Firewood available to purchase which benefits the Boy Scout troop. Lake levels are very low but people still enjoyed water access for boating. Site 37 was long and level but right next to road and deep drop off. One irritation - the grounds crew decided to mow the area around my campsite beginning at 5:45 AM. Not exactly the way I prefer to wake up. Coarsegold and Oakhurst are nearby towns with Oakhurst the larger of the two and easy drives. Yosemite is nearby as well for day trip but there is so much in Yosemite that day trip just isn't enough. I would stay again at campsite but perhaps try for a different site that might have better access to water spigot. We camped here in a Motorhome.
October 2013
I like open campgrounds with a view, so the lack of shade did not bother me. Actually, I had a tree behind me that gave me afternoon shade, but did not block my view. Lake is very low, but I came here to relax, so that was OK. View was still very good. OK cell voice and data service, although signal was a little weak. Site could have been more level, but a couple of boards solved my problem. I was in Site 22, which is normally part of a double site, but few campers are here this time of year, so I had a lot of privacy. Had no problems getting my 32' motorhome backed into site. Because this area is so hilly, some picnic tables were behind, below, or above the campsite, but they did have steps to the ones I investigated. Price is with senior pass. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Hidden View Campground