Nearby Loma, Colorado (Air Miles)
Rest Area On Co I-70 At Mile Marker 19 Unverified.
Transwest Trucks 8005715791

10   7   8   8
yes  question  yes  yes
yes  question  yes  yes
May 2013
An island oasis in the high desert of Loma, CO. Clean and tidy as all of the Colorado State Parks, this little treasure is hard to get a reservation for, but if you can, the rewards are big! This park is the location for many bike races (the famous "18 Hours of Fruita) and other events. The park caters to those scheduled events which means getting in on weekends can be a challenge at best- that is unless you are a participant in one of the events itself. The RV camping and tent sites are all emerald green and fully shaded with beautiful, large poplar trees. The sites are pull in styled and set along a narrow, one-way only, circular, paved road that allows for some tricky navigation for a large 5th wheel- ours is 37ft. and fortunately driven by a very skilled operator! There are only water hook ups and a dump station. The cycling, fishing, boating, hiking and birding opportunities at Highline are hard to beat. Super smooth and fast, well maintained mountain bike trails make for memorable single track thrills! Highline State Park is very dog friendly and truly serene. We can't wait to visit again! We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
April 2011
I got caught by surprise. Didn't realize this was a dry camping park, except almost every site appears to have a water faucet. Oh well. It's a nice park and was very busy for a Thursday night. I had to hunt through all the reservation cards posted to find one that was open for the one night I stayed there! Whatever you do, don't pay before you find a spot! I disagree about the big rig access, mine is 32 feet and I barely had enough room. I was in a "pull-through" and I couldn't put my slides out, they would stick out over the roadway through the park or would hit a tree. Most of the sites are pull through but are shaped in a steep arc and very close to the road. There are a few back in sites, perhaps those will fit the big rigs and slideouts. If you arrive after hours, there is a machine to take your fee, cash or credit cards (again, don't pay before you find a spot!). You have to do two transactions if you use the machine. I wasn't towing a car, but from what I understand (confirmed with the camp host), you have to buy both a camping permit and a vehicle permit for your motorhome. I am guessing that if you tow a car, you may have to buy another permit, but you might want to clarify this. The rate I am showing is $16 for camping and $7 vehicle fee. We camped here in a Motorhome.
September 2010
Nice Park centered around Highline Reservoir with plenty of shade throughout. Several walking trails along the reservoir and, if you fish the it's a great spot to be. Sites are mostly level gravel pads, quite roomy with picnic tables and fire grills. When we were there the CG was mostly empty but was booked for the weekends during October. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Highline Lake State Park