206485 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Brandenburg, Kentucky (Air Miles)
Camp Carlson Rv Pk
Fort Knox Military Rese
Caesars 11999 Ave. Of The Emperors Elizabeth In 47117 812-969-6000 (Located To Zip)
501 W Lincoln Trail Blvd
2363 Hwy 135 Nw
Homestead
Kentucky
Brandenburg
Otter Creek Outdoor Recreation Area (Now Open)
2013-04-29 07:41:15
Brandenburg, Kentucky
April 2013

6   5   6   9   6   5
question  question  yes  question  question  question
question  question  yes  question  question  question
April 2013
This park is a local gem to the Louisville area. It has been closed for several years due to budget cuts by the City of Louisville but reopened under the management of Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife sometime last year. I've been camping in this park for over 25 years and this was my first visit back in probably 10. Amazingly, it looks almost exactly the same as when I left. The management has been putting a lot of work into this campground. First, I noticed that all of the electric sites now have a dual 50/30 amp pedestal. Many of the water hookups have been replaced. I did not get a count of sites as many of the previous water/electric sites were supposedly abandoned due to deterioration of the electrical service. In reality, it wasn't that good when I was there 10 years ago. However, they are putting in new water in that area and they may install new electric, I did not get to talk with anyone in charge. There is some construction of concrete pads of some sort going on and again, I'm not sure what that's all about. The beauty of this park is that it is very quiet and rustic. Many large trees and lots of shade. There are two separate pavilions. One has camping around it, so that would be great for a family get-together. Some sites are not very level, but most are no problem. There are three "buddy" sites that are off by themselves that would be great for a few friends camping together. They have electric and water hookups. There are no sewer sites, although there is a dual dump station that is easy to access. Lots of paved roads are great for bike riding and golf carts are allowed. The park is convenient to Brandenburg, KY which is a few miles down the road for shopping and a stones throw from Fort Knox, Radcliff and Elizabethtown. Louisville is about 20 miles away. The reason for my 6 rating is the park still needs some work. There are a LOT of trees and if you have a big rig it takes some care navigating around the park. There are several trees right beside the road that would be easy to clip if you're not careful. Also, some sites would be impossible to access with a larger rig. We have a 40' motorhome and it was slow going all the way into the park. Right at the entrance to the park is a guard shack with electric gates. The gates are very narrow. I cleared them with about a foot on each side to spare. Also, the road coming into the campground has many overhanging limbs. If you stay to the center of the road you'll be fine, but if you meet up with another rig exiting, someone better stop. Also, we were allowed to do a late checkout at 5:00 p.m. which was a nice bonus. I have lots of memories camping at this park with my children over the years in a multitude of different camping rigs. I was happy to see the park back and nearly as I remembered it from years ago. It's a nice place. We camped here in a Motorhome.
January 2009
$
This campground has been closed since Jan 09. The city of Louisville closed this park due to budget problems. Don't know when it will open again, possibly next year. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
October 2006
Came in during the Halloween festivities. Was very disappointed that I could not call in for reservations, so I had to bring my camper two days earlier than I had planned to reserve a spot only to find out I was too late to get an improved site, so I had to settle for a primitive site. The park was shaded with lots of trees. Sites are gravel, not level and muddy when raining. Due to the terrain, the park became water logged after a full day's rain. Terrain is somewhat hilly but not so to prevent bicycling. Has a nice playground, bicycle trails, and a sports field. No cell phone coverage. Camp hosts were not friendly perhaps cranky. The park itself needs freshening up--looks neglected. Bath rooms were clean and maintained although cold (no heat in October). On the positive side the staff work real hard to plan for the Halloween activities (went on for three weekends)which was a hit for the kids. The Halloween experience was something to remember. The parks staff performed well for the festivities. That reason in itself is enough for us to come back next Halloween, we just have to bring our camper four to five days ahead of the weekend in order to secure an improved spot. Considering the rate (covers six people) and the Halloween memories, it is still worth it. The park no longer has a pool for the summer, but will replace it with a small water park that may be in operation in July 07. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Otter Creek Outdoor Recreation Area (Now Open)