Nearby Crittenden, Kentucky (Air Miles)
Country Grill
Crittenden
Cincinnati South Campground
2014-05-30 15:27:43
Crittenden, Kentucky

yes  yes  yes  question  question  yes  question  question  question  question
yes  yes  question  question  question  yes  question  question  question  question
We read all the prior reviews on this campground prior to booking. All the talk about the train was slightly off putting. I'm not a fan of being awakened by a train whistle at night. We stayed 4 nights at this location. All I can say is who cares about the train noise when you are within sight of I-75 that has traffic noise of all kinds Non Stop! The trains at least blow through quickly. We found the interstate to be much more irritating. I ran a white noise generator app on my phone, a box fan on full speed, and had the camper fan running nonstop at night to drown out traffic sounds. All that said, the campground is OK. I'd have liked more gravel to differentiate my site from the adjoining grass. The pool area was neatly maintained. The fishing lake is small, but what I found the most annoying with it was the stupid Canada geese droppings everywhere. We base camped out of here to do activities in Cincinnati. It was utilitarian, but definitely not some place I'd go back to on purpose. I'd use it as an overnight stop, but certainly not as a destination location. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Management was outstanding and helped get car disconnected and allowed us to use empty site next to us for car and dolly. They gave our daughter, who lives in Dry Ridge, a pass to come in to visit! Some noise from highway which is right down the hill and the trains going by across the road but did not wake us up. Stayed a week in site 60 with nice view of the lake since lower camping area by lake was still closed. They could use some electric up grades to bring voltage up a little more. We camped here in a Motorhome.
At first, we thought we had found the perfect campground - the site was easily accessible and quite large. It had everything we look for - large very level site, nice shade, large area for picnic table, firepit was far from the front door of the rig, lots of space for the dogs to stretch out. Sites are gravel, no cement patios. The list of rules includes being forbidden to put rugs or carpets down on the grass, because it "ruins" the grass. We could have lived with that, I suppose, but what you don't see - or hear - until you're parked is that there are train tracks less than 50 feet from the edge of the property. After we were set up, the first train went by... we asked the owner how often they run and received a laconic "I'm not sure... I don't even here them anymore." Which may or may not be true, but I will tell you they run every 20 minutes or so - ALL NIGHT LONG. I don't think this campground gets much business anyway, because a closer look the next day showed that most of the sites had as much grass growing through the gravel as the actual "grass" part of the sites did. I would not camp here again. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Display older reviews for Cincinnati South Campground