206532 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Vado, New Mexico (Air Miles)
Vado Rv 1
March 2014

yes  question  question  no  question  no  question  question  question  no
yes  question  question  no  question  no  question  question  question  no
March 2014
We left Las Cruces at about 8 am, and 15 miles down the highway had to pull off due to extremely high winds. We found this place - only 1/2 mile from the truck stop where we had stopped. The owner allowed us to check in at 9 in the morning. This campground is very, very old and run-down, and it's apparent that the owner is attempting to manage and maintain it by herself. The restrooms, while clean, are ancient, and the doors/screens are dilapidated. Our site was a long, level pull-through. There are lots of full-timers, but they're all to the rear of the park. This was a fine place for an overnight while waiting for the winds to die down. It's across the freeway from a Family Dollar store, where we were able to pick up a few needed supplies. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
March 2013
I wanted to stay somewhere close to El Paso so I could deal with getting through there early in the day. Vado is very close. This park charges $38 a night, so one would expect something nice for the money. $38 is not in my budget, but I got in on the Passport America rate. I still expected something nice for my $19 as I often find nice, clean, tidy ones for half that. This park is run down, dusty, and surrounded by a hodgepodge of inaccessible buildings that may have one time been part of the park. My guess is that most of the people there are employed nearby. The pluses: The park is easy and close to get to from the freeway and easy to get back on the freeway. The site was level and hookups were easy to access. There are shade trees but being there late winter and the trees being bare, they were not something I could experience and comment on. In fairness to the managers/owners, my guess is that this is an old run down park they have taken over and may in time spruce up. It looked like construction materials had been brought in (or perhaps being removed? I don't know.) That being said, there is one thing they cannot fix and that is the odor coming from the feedlots down the road. This is not the place you will be sitting outside in the evening; though I noticed the odor was less pungent than earlier in the day. If you are like me, looking for a place west of El Paso to stop before braving the congestion --and don't mind paying more than your money's worth, this is an OK stop for one night--just keep your doors and windows closed. We camped here in a Motorhome.
December 2012
Unfortunately I have to agree with the previous posts - this is a campground in rapid decline. We have been here before and found the place to be OK, but we could see how standards were slipping. Another thing is that the campground is very close to large areas filled with cows, and when we were there, there was a strong smell from the cows accompanied by ½ million flies. Next time we pass through this area we will find another place to stay, and there are plenty of them nearby. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Western Sky's RV Park