220830 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Cherokee, North Carolina (Air Miles)
Cherokee Tribal Travel &
Oconaluftee Indian Villag
Santa'S Land
210 Wal-Mart
Plaza
Harrah'S Cherokee 777 Casino Dr. Cherokee Nc 28719 828-497-7777 (Located To Zip)
Western Carolina Univers
Great Smoky Mountains N
North Carolina
Cherokee
Yogi In The Smokies
2014-08-24 18:04:06
Cherokee, North Carolina

question  yes  yes  question  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  question
question  yes  yes  question  question  yes  yes  question  yes  question
This was our first camping trip to Cherokee and are glad we chose this KOA. It is located on Big Cove Road which has a beautiful steam running through it. The campground is completely surrounded by trout ponds and streams. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We camped in a center pull-through sit that was very level. There were mostly families camping the weekend we were there. Mingo Falls is very close to campground and was very beautiful. We will return to this park. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
January 2014
I am not a big KOA fan because of other experiences at KOA's. I picked this because of the location and indoor, year round pool for the kids. The place was empty for the most part because of winter. The sites are close and I could see in peak summer season this place would get crowded. The staff was great. We had prepaid but had to leave a day early because of pending weather and they offered a refund. The grounds were clean and well kept and it is located in a beautiful location in the mountains. I would use this location again but only in off season. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
October 2013
Don't use your GPS to get here, call the campground to get more specific directions. It's further off the main drag than most KOAs and enormous, its own city. I have a 20' class B and asked for a site out of the way. Site is fine, but cable hookup is very poor, unwatchable and, like the last 3 KOAs I've stayed at on this trip, Wi-Fi is sketchy and keeps cutting out. Despite the size the setting is beautiful and the campground looks to be about 2/3rds full even with Smokey Mountain National Park closed. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA
March 2005

March 2005
I traveled to several sites around Cherokee region (Yogi, KOA, etc...) and everything was extremely crowded due to trout fishing tourney. After traveling approximately 25 miles attempting to locate a campground, I figure I would take a stab at Craig's Campground. The manager was sitting on the front porch of the office and was extremely nice. He suggested a spot next to the creek with full hook-up and we set up camp. Before we left for Cherokee, asked him what time check-out was and he asked us what time we wanted to leave the next day and said not to worry nor hurry. Extremely nice people, facilities were not fancy, but they were very clean. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.

yes  yes  yes  yes  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes
question  question  yes  yes  question  question  yes  yes  yes  yes
We stayed there during the heavy rains and flooding. (We know the campgrounds are not to blame for this). If they would put more gravel on the road, and gravel the spot where the camper is parked, it would help. There was a camper on the back creek that would leave his dog tied to a tree while going away. At one point he let it run loose, and it went after another camper and dog. Workers talked to him, but the next time they went away the dog was back on the tree. The internet was mostly non existent. We were told it was due to all the kids using e-readers, i phones, and computers. Even after the weekend we tried it up at the office and had very little luck. Workers were of no help. While leaving, someone broke the water line next to us. (Once again not the campgrounds fault). I asked one worker if they could run a line from the other road to us. I was informed he was not in charge and was told to see another worker. When I want to the 2nd worker, I told him the 1st worker told me to see him. In a few minutes 1st worker showed up with a hose and informed me not the tell the worker in charge things he didn't say. When I informed him I didn't, he stated he didn't have time for this and stormed off. My wife and I have camped at many different campgrounds over a 20 year military career. This is by far the worst. Most of the workers couldn't care less about the campers. This could be a great campground with a change in the staff. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
May 2013
We had a great time with friends at this park. It is a very big park but not very crowded at all during the four nights we stayed. From the folks at the office to the guys who helped us park, everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. For $3 more per night, we had wonderful premium sites with concrete pads on the lake. These sites allow you to back in almost parallel to the lake, so the water was no more than 10 feet outside our door. We loved these sites. The only drawback came the final day when fishermen (I don't know if they were campers or not) walked between our camper and the water, right past our door on their way around the lake. I don't think there are many campers dumb and ill-mannered enough to do such a thing, so I'm assuming these people had day passes. Nonetheless, we loved the sites and would definitely go back. The campground is very close to the Casino and other Indian attractions. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
September 2012
Nights Stayed -3 Park Overall – The Park is large, it is well maintained. All employees go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. A negative thing about the park is it is very near US19, a busy highway. A few of the creek lots, on the Highway side of the park, face the back of some houses. There are a few gravel sites but they are mainly grass. Most of the sites are reasonably level. There are two creeks and a lake all with water front sites. A really nice park overall. RV Type Used - 5th Wheel 28Ft My Site (94) – is on the creek near the highway. The water was so loud that we heard little road noise. The site faces the back of a house on the other side of the creek. We never saw anyone. What We Did – Went to the “Museum of Cherokee Indians” it was interesting, $10/Person Restroom - Modern and clean, soap and hand towels provided. Bath - Modern and clean Cell Service - Verizon worked, 3 bars and 3G at least Internet Access – Wi-Fi at the site, reasonably fast access Basic Shopping - Groceries etc. 3 miles Dining - Best restaurant in town is the “BRIO Tuscan Grille”, at the Casino. I did not get to try Ruth Chris’. Most restaurants are Buffet. Would I Return - Yes, I’m not a gambler but the Casino offer good entertainment and restaurants. The weather and the countryside are beautiful. If I returned I would select site 97 or 98. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Happy Holiday RV Village (formerly Happy Holiday RV Park)
October 2012

7   8   10   5   10   10   8   8   7
question  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes
question  yes  yes  question  question  yes  yes  yes  yes
October 2012
Pretty little campground. Nicest site are on the creek. FHU sites aren't on the creek. Owners very nice and very helpful. If you need internet or cell phone reception look elsewhere. There is absolutely no cell phone reception. The internet service provided by the campground was spotty at best. Often it was completely unavailable. sometimes you could get your email very slow but forget about going to any other internet sites. We camped here in a Motorhome.
July 2012
Nice campground away from it all, but still relatively close to town. We enjoyed this place so much we stayed two weekends in a row. Getting into some of the campsites is a bit tight but the sites themselves are pretty spacious. Owners and staff were very courteous. Overall a good value for a nice place in the Smokeys. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
May 2012
We stayed on site 52 with friends and it was fantastic. It was right on the creek, which was a great way to provide white noise between campsites. Plenty of room on the site. The store was very well stocked and staff was friendly. The bathrooms were the cleanest I've even seen while camping. The only thing that made it hard was how we had to carry everything across the foot bridge to our site, but we knew that when we made the reservation. Would definitely stay here again! We camped here in a Tent.
Display older reviews for Indian Creek Campground

yes  question  yes  question  yes  yes  question  yes  question  question
yes  question  yes  question  yes  yes  question  yes  question  question
We camped here for a month and the monthly rate for a non-river spot is only $400--a great deal and well worth the money! The restrooms are clean and the showers have plenty of pressure and hot water. There is a large laundry room and a game room. The front section is mostly paved spots with full hook-ups, picnic tables and fire rings. There are smaller tent/pop-up sites along the river in the front section. The middle section is not paved, however, all of the sites that are not on the river are level pull-through sites, most with shade trees. The river side sites are back-in and they have a gorgeous view. The back section is for permanent campers, and they are very well kept and folks are friendly. There is a trail that runs along the river which is great for dog walking and enjoying the views, including a small waterfall right across the river. The staff is very friendly. The campground is about two miles up Big Cove Road from downtown Cherokee. On up Big Cove Road about another 2 miles is Mingo Falls, a nice little hike. If you're looking for a reasonably priced mountain get-away, this is the place to be! We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
April 2013
This was our first time to visit the Great Smokie Mountians, and we were very happy to have found this park! All sites for short term stay have level concrete pads, full hook ups, a beautiful setting by the stream and surrounded by the mountians. Very quiet location, except for the daily trash truck as a previous reviewer mentioned. The is no cell service in this area. The staff is very friendly, hassle free rates, paid by cash only. We will stay here again! We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
April 2013
Destination campground located adjacent to a mountain stream in the mountains of North Carolina. Campground is at the south end of the Blue Ridge Parkway at the entrance of the Great Smoky Mountains NP. Good, well marked access from highway. Well maintained park with lots of long term residents. Pet friendly for friendly pets. Paved interior roads. Level gravel and some concrete level sites. Average space between sites with gravel and some trees between sites. Picnic table and fire ring at each site. A little tight for big rigs but doable. Good access to utilities and all worked properly. Good cable selection . No Wi-Fi and no Verizon data coverage. Spotty to no cell phone coverage. Had to go into Cherokee to get Wi-Fi. Showers/restrooms are modern and clean, and laundry is fine. Very quiet with no train, plane, or traffic noise. Very friendly and helpful staff. Cash only-no credit cards. Good fishing in the streams adjacent to the park and in the area. Nothing for kids other than the stream . Good location to explore the National Park and area. Big Casino in town. We would return We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Display older reviews for River Valley Campground
2002

2002
The campground was not clean. Several live ins but their sites were well kept. The bathrooms and showers were not clean and they ran out of toilet paper. I would have given a lower overall rating except for the fact that the one person that was working, did try to be very helpful. We also did end up with what was probably the best site here. It had a wooden deck over a stocked trout stream. Overall the sites were too small, too close together, and not very well kept. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.

yes (River)
question  yes  yes  question  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  no
question  yes  yes  question  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  question
Just a quick note that we stayed up there from 8-16-2014 thru 8-22-2014. We checked out on 8-23-2014. We were in cabin 117. Here are the issues…. • Rude employees (on several occasions throughout the week) • Cabins are NOT cleaned properly before another tenant arrives. • Cabin 117 has to be the worst cabin on-site. (very little room to sit by the fire and very uneven (sloped, rocky and rootish terrain) Extremely small area for “enjoying sitting by the river” • Very rude desk employee when I asked for another wi-fi code. I explained I didn’t realize The codes are (Devise specific) • There were 8 people in our party (not counting the 16m old baby) We went to the pool 1 day, they watched us like we had a virus or something STARING out the window, even came out and yelled to us if our baby had a “little swimmy” on. • EVERY time I went into the camp store, the ladies behind the counter were constantly gossiping about Other campers in the park. (VERY unprofessional) • I found a set of camper keys in the driveway, I turned those in to the desk clerk, she rolled her eyes and Not even a “thank you” • My daughter found a credit card just outside the camp store, she turned it in and the lady just took it and threw it under the counter. Again she was rude and was not even concerned about how to return it to who it belonged to. (with a name on a card, it should not be too hard to figure out) She and the other lady was too busy gossiping to even act like they cared. NOW, here is my belief, if they don’t care who hears what they are saying, makes me wonder what they say about me When I walk out. It was almost like we were BOTHERING them. • Camp store closed at 6pm on a night (Thursday night to be exact). The sign says open until 7. I understand that the place was slow, but when you depend on a store to maintain the posted hours. It’s very aggravating to walk up there to a closed store. • Upon arrival, and checking in to our cabin, the floor was full of sand/grit. The help needs to attend to the cleanliness of the cabins BETTER. Also had a full bathroom trashcan. For the rates charged, we were very unhappy with our overall living arrangements. Would I recommend this place……….in a nutshell…….. NO This park has gotten OUR last dollar. And I will advise all my friends, and I know a lot (of people who do camp) To NOT waste their money at this so-called award winning park. ALSO, not to mention, when I got home from the trip, I had an email CLAIMING we had a pet in our cabin. ALL of our pets were boarded for this week. They said they found what looked like pet hair in the loft. WE found hair when we got there…….just another example of the outstanding cleaning job they did for us. We camped here in a Campground Cabin.
Can't really say anything negative about this campground. It is very kid-oriented so it's great if you have them. There are activities throughout the day, bike rentals, etc. to keep them busy. One of the things that I loved about it was, unlike the other campground down the road, it has true "riverfront" sites for a tent or small camper. Wi-Fi is okay when it's working. It was out of service for the first half of our trip. Going to the "Unto These Hills" show in town was one of the highlights of our vacation. We camped here in a Motorhome.
When we checked in the lady in the office was super friendly. We were led to our campsite by one of the rangers who helped us get backed in and he also made sure that we had everything we needed before driving off. Our site was surprising level and all of the hookups were perfect distance. The site itself was private and very large. We were pleasantly surprised by that. We were close to the bathhouses but didn't use them during our trip. I did walk in there just to see how clean they were as I know families that tent camp and they are always looking for clean bathhouses and family friendly parks. The staff was always visible around the campground whether they were cleaning or just making sure they weren't needed. While we were packing up to leave the Ranger came over to make sure we didn't need help and to make sure we enjoyed our stay. He was such a wonderful man who truly enjoyed his job and that was such a great thing. They had plenty of activities for children throughout the day. I would highly recommend this to families. The road leading up there was a little winding but that's the joys of camping in the mountains. The weather and staff were wonderful We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Yogi In The Smokies