Nearby Coinjock, North Carolina (Air Miles)
North River Cg

6   1   8   1   1
yes  no  no  question  no
yes  no  no  question  no
August 2012
We stayed here for 3 days. While I have read other reviews saying the people are rude or that this place is like "Deliverance." It is very far from that. The people here were very nice and while it is out in the middle of nowhere, the whole area is beach country. There may not be a whole lot of town nearby, but even down near Kitty Hawk you will only find cheap surf shops and only expensive shopping: no Target, Old Navy, or such places for miles. Back to the campground. It was very clean, well cared for, and felt safe and homey. My husband works on the road so our travel is not leisure and his hours are sometimes late. This place locks its gates up at 11 with no way of getting in or out, which I am not a fan of. I do not like to be locked inside of anywhere. I have a toddler and baby on the way which means if something were to go wrong in the night I would have to take time to hunt someone and a key down, before dealing with any emergency. So very inconvenient and inconsiderate on their part. Although they did work with us and finally found a spare key for hubby to use. I also have a slight problem with there being no shade or trees of some kind around the playground for the children. My 3 year old actually stopped playing after 30 minutes and told me she was too hot and it was too bright. Not typical of a child when there is such a large play area. Also only two washers and dryers in a very small room. Bathrooms and showers were clean though and store had quite a variety. Also it is summertime and most of the temporary visit spots have no shade either, so one can imagine how hot a trailer gets. We were asked (for the first time ever) if we had ac and if we were going to use it. Uh duh: who would not use their ac in this kind of heat? Not happy with the $10 a day extra charge for that. Also, they had no knowledge of fishing permits and no free fishing. Most campgrounds I have been to, are private property which means a license is not needed. Would only stay here again if we came to the area for work. My idea of a beach vacation is more along the lines of Myrtle Beach where places stay open past 9pm. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
June 2009
Take a Circuit Checker with you. Found a couple of camp sites that was wired wrong. Possibly could fry your camper. The sewer connections were broken in all the campsites I checked. The bathrooms are worse than filthy. Urinals were in front of a screen door. People walking by could see everything. Toilet stalls had no latches on the doors and would not stay closed. The floors were wet with what looked and smelled like an over flow toilet. The showers had so much mold on them the glass looked like it was painted white. Nothing to do there. No pool no nothing. Full timers did not clean up after their dogs. Had 'presents' left at my campsite more than once. As a firefighter, I've been in several 'ghetto' homes and few were as bad as this campground. I thought the place looked like the movie 'Deliverance' was filmed there. I'm glad I've had my Hep-B immunization done before going there. NEVER AGAIN! We camped here in a Motorhome.
April 2009
We have our trailer here full time. It is a quick commute from Chesapeake. We don't have to move the trailer every weekend, we keep the trailer stocked and just head down for some relaxation. I guess it can appear creepy at first but once you get to know your fellow campers they can be fun. If your looking for luxury it isn't here. But if you want to hang out with some fun rednecks, this is the place to be. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Hampton Lodge Camping Resort