206564 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Blacksburg, South Carolina (Air Miles)
Flying J

8   10   10   10
no  question  question  question
no  question  question  question
April 2013
Easy I85 access; quiet; helpful staff; great water, full sewer, cable, & electricity. We paid $14 with Passport America discount. What we didn't know is that there are NO BATHROOMS or SHOWERS. For some this is okay but we have a small TT & like a good strong hot shower. If that's unimportant to you, this is a great place to stopover and is very reasonable. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
December 2012
Conveniently placed a couple of miles off I-85, at its intersection with SC-5 (York Road) Exit #102 and NC 196 (to Earl and Shelby, NC). Propane refills on site, very helpful management by on site owners, and level gravel sites. Lots of open space, no cramped sites and room for your pets to run. A few workers who are gone most weekdays, but little traffic on good roads throughout the park. Easy drive a few miles (less than 10) takes you to Gaffney, with Lowe's, Walmart, Ace, Ingles, Food Lion, etc. etc. Nothing for the kiddies to do, but most folks are no longer kids. On balance, a great experience, quiet and reasonable rates. We'll be back! We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
July 2010
This is a great place to stay if you are needing a place that is a little country, but not to far from city. The staff is very very friendly and helpful. Upon our arrival they were their to meet us, and helped us set our fifth wheel up. The owners live on site and are always available. It is a very quiet and peaceful park located in a very pretty area. We brought along a dog and she had plenty of room to run and play fetch, which many campgrounds lack. The grass and grounds were kept up, and they even weed-eat around our camper which was very nice! They keep a close eye on things, which made me feel more comfortable about leaving things outside. I have no complaints about this campground! I would definitely stay here again, and the rates are amazing compared to the other spots around this location (we stayed here a month so not sure on the nightly rate). If you are older or just looking for a quiet place to park, this is the place to be. They don't have the pool or bath house/laundry, but it isn't too far from a town that can meet all your needs. The owners even offer a drop off laundry service through their home, and even offer to wash and wax your camper for a great price! Out of all the sites in the Spartanburg/Gaffney area this one's the best! We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Display older reviews for Cherokee Campground

yes  no  yes  yes  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  no
yes  no  yes  yes  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  no
Wonderful park! Glad our rig is only 24 foot, do not think we would have been able to drive the loops with a bigger one. Sites are nice, plenty of privacy and nicely shaded, too. That was good because we stayed there on one of the hottest days this year. The walk to the living farm is deeply shaded and perfectly doable, a family with small kids did it easily. The self guided tour on the farm is a bit simple, but still fun. Too far to walk to the battle site. You really need auxiliary transportation for that. We did it on our way out. GREAT museum/visitor center and film. Must see! The lake at the campground is small and has rental paddle boats and canoes, but unfortunately no swimming allowed. We didn't go to the other lake, again it was darn hot and too far. Overall, wonderful place. We'll be back when it has cooled down! We camped here in a Motorhome.
April 2013
Although in a beautiful setting, I cannot recommend this campground - especially for big rigs! Even the campground hosts talk about the lack of maintenance and other problems here. The roads are in bad shape, and most aggravating to me, was the low-hanging branches that scraped the roof, sides and antennas on my RV. They are right over the middle of the road, so unavoidable. Come on, how hard is it to get up there and trim the trees? The apparent "zero maintenance policy" for roads, sites, and trees is a major problem here. Most sites are not even close to level - bring all the lumber you can carry! The water pressure at my site (#27), was abysmal - 20 psi. Hello? That's not even usable so I had to supplement it with my pump during the entire stay. The 30-amp service was good, though, with strong voltage. No sewer, but two very narrow dump stations are available. The sites are closer together than most of the state parks I've been to. Each site has a picnic table and fire pit, and the office sells firewood, which is nice. My amplified MiFi using Verizon worked well, but unamplified reception on my Verizon phone was only one bar. There is no noise from major roads due to the campground's isolation. Bathrooms are old and not cleaned daily. The showers were not so good - no shelves for soap/shampoo, and no privacy at the bench outside of the stall. I didn't like or use them. There are many miles of nice hiking trails and paved roads for bicycling. The staff was friendly. The nearest stores and services I found were in Clover, which is about 11 miles from the campground. Finally, the "no alcohol allowed in the park" rule is ridiculous. I can understand not wanting people walking around the park with alcoholic beverages, but I can't have a glass of wine at my own site or even in my RV? Doesn't work for me. Too bad about this campground. There is a lot of potential if some money were spent to fix it up. Unless that happens, I would not consider returning. We camped here in a Motorhome.
August 2012
Stayed 4 nights over Labor day weekend. This park is located in a beautiful setting; will maintained, great staff and many LARGE sites. On the negative side many of the sites on the outer perimeter in ‘Section A’ are seriously un-level. Sites are sand / clay. Site 86 A, is a large, tight, pull through. The site was private. However, it was externally un-level. I had to lift the passenger’s side tires six inches to level. We hiked the Farm Trail from the RV Campground to the Live Farm. Was interesting: look it up. 3 miles total, easy hike. Restroom was aging but clean, no soap in the restrooms but a blow hand drier. Bath was clean, big, however could use some hooks for cloth. Cell service was Verizon, low signal strength and goes between 3G and 1X. Very slow for data. Internet access through Verizon Hotspot. No other available. Basic shopping, groceries, etc. was 5 to 8 miles away. Restaurants in nearby cities but most dining is in Gastonia NC, 12/15 miles. Would I return? Yes: a very nice park but I would try to stay in sites 42, 44, 46, 48. Good sites and level. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Display older reviews for Kings Mountain State Park