Nearby Canyon, Texas (Air Miles)
2309 N 3Rd Ave
Ruby Tequila'S Mexican
Cadillac Ranch
Amarillo (2)
Cattle Call Restaurant
Sams Club 2201 Ross-Osage Dr (Located To Street)
Amarillo (3)
March 2014

question  no
question  no
March 2014
We wound up at this campground after being evacuated from Palo Duro Canyon State Park because of an uncontained grass fire. The owners were very friendly and helpful and kept the office open late to accommodate us refugees from the State Park. It was nine at night but a young man offered to guide us to our site and make sure we got hooked up all right. I did not find the park to be the horror the previous poster claimed. I did not use the restrooms, and I did not see garbage piled up. We did see some broken sewer caps. The office building is run down, but we felt it more important that we were treated kindly and were not taken advantage of in a difficult situation. Bottom line is that the place is in need of some upgrades and maintenance, but it was quiet, and we would not hesitate to stay here again. The grounds were easy to maneuver in our 37' fifth wheel, and we had a great Verizon cell signal. We got a discounted fee I assume because of the late arrival and short stay. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
We ended up here for one night after heavy rain closed campground access at Palo Duro State Park. This place is next door to the park. The sites are behind a dilapidated building housing an across-the-canyon zip line. The camping area is a grassy field, with old electric pedestals, some of which appeared broken. Many sewer covers were broken. The bathrooms were filthy. There are no shower facilities. Garbage is piled next to two small containers at the corner of the main building. We were glad to leave for our park campsite the next morning when the road was finally accessible. Avoid this place for camping. We camped here in a Motorhome.

question  question  yes  yes  question  yes  question  yes  yes  question
question  question  yes  yes  question  question  question  yes  yes  question
One of the nicest state parks I have stayed in. Try and get in the Sagebrush campground if you are only going for the "Texas" show. Some parts of the road are under construction and may be challenging for wider trailers and RV's. Lots to do here. Take at least 3 days to get a decent sampling. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
I was a bit disappointed in this park, mainly because I had a reservation. But Texas does not reserve specific spots. It was very confused because they had people leaving from a weekend dirt bike race fundraiser and the staff at the entrance station did not know what sites were available and which weren't. So I had to drive down a steep road into the canyon and then 8 miles to the far campground, then back up with my potential site numbers. The whole process including a line at check-in took over an hour in temps that were in the upper-90s, so I was exhausted and hot by the time I got hooked up. It is a very pretty canyon, but sites were tight. Might have been a better experience in cooler weather and not the day after such a major event or with so much road construction. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Before I begin, in interest of full disclosure I have to admit I’m a big fan of the Texas state parks. We camped here the week of Memorial Day arriving on the Monday holiday and staying through Friday. The park is subject to flash flooding and the area had nearly four inches of rain the week before. As result most of the park was closed on the Friday before the holiday until the next Wednesday. They are working on replacing at least three of the low water crossings with bridges which should improve access after heavy rains. During flooding only two campgrounds, Sagebrush and Hackberry, are accessible. Of all the campgrounds, only Sagebrush and Mesquite have 50 Amp service. None of the campgrounds have full hook-ups, so if you are camping very long, you may want to bring a waste tank. The rest rooms were dated but clean. One of our pet peeves is that none of the rest rooms in the state parks have hand soap, so bring your own. The park host was very friendly and actually offered us some watermelon one evening. The park has over 30 miles of trails for hiking, biking, and horseback riding. Some of the trails are quite long and rated as “difficult,” so plan your hikes carefully. During the summer the temperature in the canyon can reach 120 degrees Fahrenheit. We hiked the “Lighthouse Trail” to the park’s iconic “Lighthouse” formation. That trail is the most popular and is 5.75 miles round trip and rated as “moderate.” It took us 2 hours and 20 minutes. The information provided by TPWD warns to take plenty of water since most of the heat related injuries and deaths to people and pets occur on this trail. The park does have a few family friendly “easy” rated trails. The park has a very nice wildlife viewing blind, which quickly became a favorite of ours. We visited it several times during our visit. We saw a variety of birds including Northern Cardinal, Purple Finch, Painted Bunting, Yellow Fronted Woodpecker, and wild turkeys. Palo Duro Canyon is advertised as the “Grand Canyon of Texas.” Prior to visiting, I just figured that was another Texas exaggeration. After viewing the canyon from the overlook at the Visitor’s Center I was definitely impressed. It’s not the Grand Canyon, but it is definitely breath taking. (We visited the Grand Canyon in February of this year so I had fresh memories for comparison.) They do have a few pull through spaces, but most are back-in sites. Some of the sites looked a little short, but our space (# 142) was long enough for both our 39’ fifth wheel and our full size crew cab pickup. The park also has a stables and amphitheater in the park. During the summer months the musical “Texas” is presented Tuesday through Saturday at the amphitheater. During our visit both our AT&T cell and data services was intermittent. Data service on both our phones and our MiFi device ranged from none, to edge to 4G but it would change by the minute. Camping rates do not include admission to the park. Admission is $5.00 per person per day. If you are planning of camping at more than one state park, I highly recommend purchase of a Texas Parks Pass. Passes are $70.00 per year and include unlimited admission to the parks and several coupons for 50% off a single night’s rate. The nightly rate specified reflects a Texas Parks Pass and a coupon for 50% off one night’s stay. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Display older reviews for Palo Duro Canyon State Park

question  question  question  question  question  question  yes  question  question  question
Nice little park for a visit to Palo Duro State Park. Management very friendly. Tried to get us into a shady spot, but the trees came down too much so they tried to cut off the limbs to help us. Could get very tight if they were completely full, but otherwise good sites. We camped here in a Motorhome.
This campground pretty much like the other reviews have stated - basic parking spot with electricity that is convenient to Palo Duro Canyon. Sites not too crammed together. Reasonable rate. We got in late the evening we arrived and didn't end up hooking up due to the wind/rain storm that was going on. Park management was nice enough not to even charge us for that night. Would recommend it as a overnight stop. We camped here in a Motorhome.
We stayed here due to the site rate of only $25 for a FHU pull thru & it had easy access to the canyon. It was easy off & on the interstate, but not noisy from it. There was lots of grass, asphalt roads with packed dirt and rock sites that were pretty much level. The entry road did have pot holes we had to dodge. Manager friendly & we were able to use our satellite. A few trees. We stayed here 2 nites and would recommend it to anyone going to the canyon. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Palo Duro RV Park