Nearby Matagorda, Texas (Air Miles)
Lighthouse Cg (Approx)
Lighthouse Rv
Texas
Matagorda
Matagorda Bay Nature Park
2014-06-11 21:29:03
Matagorda, Texas

yes (River)
question  question  question  yes  question  question  yes  question  yes  yes
question  question  question  yes  question  question  yes  question  question  yes
This campground is very well maintained by LCRA. The sites are all level, concrete with large concrete patios, full hookups, and some spacing with grass between sites. Some sites back up to the river and I can say there's not a bad site in this park. There are two very nice lighted fishing piers available to all in the park and day visitors as well. The beach is a pretty good walk from the park so I suggest driving to the public beach access road and going on down a ways to get a nice private piece of gulf front property to enjoy but be prepared to pay a $10 yearly permit fee to drive on the beach. I would have rated this park higher but the day fee per person is a little high to me, we paid $5.00 per person per day in addition to our daily site fee; we had five people so this was $25.00 per day in day use fees. Maybe LCRA could justify this if they offered more than a few lighted fishing piers, especially considering the beach is sometimes not an option due to massive amounts of seaweed being present. Maybe the park should consider adding a swimming pool and hot tub or some other amenities to warrant such high day use fees. Everyone that we encountered that worked at the park was very kind and helpful. We would return here. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
One of the nicest places I have stayed. It is clean and well-taken care of. Sites are paved with newly-paved picnic table areas. I nearly always stay in state and national parks, and this also is government-owned. Beautiful beach on Gulf of Mexico and fishing pier is about 1000 feet away. I could not get their Wi-Fi signal but Verizon was decent and I used my hotspot. One nice thing is that they offer winter weekly and monthly rates. Yes, they do charge a daily rate plus the camping fee, but it is only $2 for Texas residents who are over 65. (I am not a Texas resident but they charged me only $2 anyway.) I will definitely come back for a longer stay sometime. Sites do vary in cost depending on location, so check before you reserve. We camped here in a Motorhome.
I am posting this as a fee warning for all potential campers. We were to stay here for a week at $245/week. However, what is not clear to you upon making reservation, is that the park charges you a daily user fee in addition to your daily or weekly rate. The daily user rate is $5/day per person. For 4 persons that is an additional $20/day for 7 days if we had gone thru with our reservation. An additional $140 per week to equal $390/week. That is a bit steep for a week for us. They told us that they just starting charging the additional daily entrance fee. Well, I think it is a bad idea. We chose not to stay. Wish we would have known earlier. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Display older reviews for Matagorda Bay Nature Park