206876 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Matagorda, Texas (Air Miles)
Lighthouse Cg (Approx)
Lighthouse Rv
Texas
Matagorda
Matagorda Bay Nature Park
2014-04-05 00:37:06
Matagorda, Texas

yes (River)
question  question  yes  question  question  yes  question  yes  yes  question
question  question  yes  question  question  yes  question  question  yes  question
One of the nicest places I have stayed. It is clean and well-taken care of. Sites are paved with newly-paved picnic table areas. I nearly always stay in state and national parks, and this also is government-owned. Beautiful beach on Gulf of Mexico and fishing pier is about 1000 feet away. I could not get their Wi-Fi signal but Verizon was decent and I used my hotspot. One nice thing is that they offer winter weekly and monthly rates. Yes, they do charge a daily rate plus the camping fee, but it is only $2 for Texas residents who are over 65. (I am not a Texas resident but they charged me only $2 anyway.) I will definitely come back for a longer stay sometime. Sites do vary in cost depending on location, so check before you reserve. We camped here in a Motorhome.
I am posting this as a fee warning for all potential campers. We were to stay here for a week at $245/week. However, what is not clear to you upon making reservation, is that the park charges you a daily user fee in addition to your daily or weekly rate. The daily user rate is $5/day per person. For 4 persons that is an additional $20/day for 7 days if we had gone thru with our reservation. An additional $140 per week to equal $390/week. That is a bit steep for a week for us. They told us that they just starting charging the additional daily entrance fee. Well, I think it is a bad idea. We chose not to stay. Wish we would have known earlier. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Very clean park. River access and a short stretch of beach front. Wi-Fi access is only available in the half of the park closest to beach, the other half only has access of you walk over to the headquarters (small inconvenience). The only negative thing I can say about this park is the lack of shade trees, otherwise the park is immaculate and very well maintained including showers, and restrooms. There is also a small play area for the kids. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Display older reviews for Matagorda Bay Nature Park