206628 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Monument Valley, Utah (Air Miles)
Nothing Nearby
Utah
Monument Valley
Goulding's Lodge & Campground
2014-04-11 20:42:52
Monument Valley, Utah

question  question  no  question  question  no  question  yes  question  question
question  question  question  question  question  no  question  yes  question  question
Yes, it is over priced and the Wi-Fi does not work, but it is the only game in town. Our site was small but it worked for the 3 days we where there. It is located in a beautiful canyon and the interior roads are asphalt, but there is not enough gravel on the sites and the red dirt is imposable to keep out of the rig. Laundry is expensive so might do before you get here. Monument Valley is stunning and the tour we took was great. Would stay here again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
The sites are not big rig friendly because they are so out of level. My wheels were off the ground. All of the other big coaches in the park were either on boards or wheels off the ground. Other than that it was a great location. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Note that some of the literature we were given there calls this "Goulding’s Camp Park", and lists the telephone number as "435 727 3235". This Good Sam RV and tent campground is nestled in among red sandstone cliffs, next to the Goulding Trading Post and Museum. Apparently, John Wayne movies are shown nightly at the trading post theater. There is a convenience store and gas station just down the road, the Navajo Nation’s Monument Valley scenic area, where many Western movies were made, is about four miles east across the main highway. I wish I could give this Good Sam campground a better rating than I am going to. The sandstone cliffs surrounding the campground seem to block most of the wind, which can be pretty intense in Monument Valley. The relatively level sites are compact red dirt, most with at least some shade trees. The asphalt access roads are narrow with tight turns, and may be tricky for bigger rigs. The staff person was somewhat harried and impersonal. I did not try the free Wi-Fi. There is no formal dog walk, guests are asked to have their dogs use “underdeveloped” areas; the only place we found to use was the side of the road in front of the campground. A previous reviewer commented on the unavailability of showers; the showers are actually inside the campground store, and are thus available only during store hours, which were about 7 AM to 8:30 PM when we were there; it would seem this obstacle could be overcome with a little planning. I have no further information on the showers. The restrooms are accessible at all hours from the campground by use of a swipe card, which you get when checking in to the campground. The mens restroom, which serves fifty (50) RV sites, has only two sinks, two urinals, and just one toilet stall. Although the restroom was regularly “cleaned”, a close look revealed various small blobs of debris at heights of up to three feet on the restroom walls. The one toilet was occupied when I needed it by one of those fellows who sit there to read and contemplate, rather than someone who was ready to do his business. I survived the long wait, barely, and then discovered that the toilet was not actually fastened securely to the floor. Later, as I walked to the office to turn in my restroom card, I noticed that the pay phone on the wall was out of order. Although I am accustomed to paying high dollar at campgrounds near National Parks (and the Navajo Nation’s Monument Valley area is equally of international interest, the rate of $44 with a Good Sam card seemed excessive given the level of the amenities present. We stayed one night in an Aliner, and are unlikely to stay again at the current level of service and price. If you are totally self-contained, have a modest-sized rig, don’t mind paying the high rate, and really want to spend some time in Monument valley, maybe this campground would work for you. We camped here in a Tent Trailer.
Display older reviews for Goulding's Lodge & Campground