Nearby Appomattox, Virginia (Air Miles)
Parkview Mh
Appomattox, Virginia

yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  no  yes  yes
yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  no  yes  yes
October 2013
Wonderful park in beautiful setting. The park was nearly empty during our 3 day stay with only about 5 campsites occupied overall. Very quiet, great hosts and fairly level sites. Don't count on any Internet or cell access during your stay. Depending upon where we walked we had up to 1 bar on both Verizon and AT&T. Using our rooftop antenna we were able to get a perfect HD picture on the local NBC station and one other. The roadway into the park is narrow and we had to move over for an oncoming car to pass. I wondered how 2 RVs would manage to pass each other. We would definitely stay here again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
We are big fans of VA State Parks in general. We loved Holliday Lake. Very quiet. Paved roads. Well kept. Clean bathrooms/shower houses. Beach area clean. The kids loved swimming in the lake. Lots of activities--boat rentals, fishing, hiking, interpretive events. We will return! We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
April 2013
This park is new or recently redone. For state parks, this is the best of the best. Roads are good to and in the park. Laurel Ridge area is for large rigs. Sites are gravel and level, but not many of them. We were here in early April and there was only one other site occupied. Bathhouses were the best. No laundry facilities so if your neighbor is wearing dirty clothes you know why. The main attraction is the dump station. Easy access in either direction. This one is by far the best I've ever used. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Holliday Lake State Park

yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  question  question  yes  question  yes
yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  question  question  yes  question  question
My family and I camped here 5/13-5/19. The campground appeared very clean. The restrooms were cleaned every other day and were well stocked with toilet paper. I was told by a store employee that they renovated both of their cabins and are in the process of renovating the cottage with plans of purchasing additional cabins. The store employee's were very helpful and friendly during our stay. The pool was opened 3 days before we checked out and we did enjoy that. We were told the lake is stocked with fish, but we did not fish while we were there. We stayed on a 50 amp FHU site and found that our power and water pressure were adequate. There is a Wi-Fi hotspot around the store area. There are some potholes as mentioned by previous reviewers, but there is also a 15MPH speed limit sign so if you go slow enough they shouldn't cause any issues. We have stopped here a couple times in the past and I am glad we did not listen to some of the past reviews of this campground, because we thoroughly enjoyed it and will be back. We camped here in a Motorhome.
I'm afraid I wasn't thinking "paradise" when we arrived at this park, nor during our stay. This is basically an older trailer park with some spots for transient RV's. My opinion is that several of the former reviewers were generous with their ratings. The park is fairly quiet, being off any main roads. Access is over a "pothole-a-plenty" paved road, and I had to contend with low tree branches scratching my motorhome. This is an item that really bothers me because it can be handled via inexpensive maintenance. So, this issue and several others confirmed that maintenance was sadly lacking here. I was able to get fairly level at my site, but many others were not close to level. Although I had a 50 amp hookup, my meter showed a fluctuating 108 volts, not enough to run my AC. Water pressure was less than 30 psi. The bathrooms and showers were adequate and cleaned daily. The pool and lake access look like they would be fun for kids. Each site had a picnic table and fire pit. This place may be suitable for folks in trailers wanting to visit for short periods, but not for larger units needing decent utilities and site access. We camped here in a Motorhome.
April 2013
This campground is set back about a mile from the main highway. The road from the main highway is in poor condition with many potholes. When arriving at the entrance, there is an unmanned booth and no security gates. The office/store is located halfway around the main CG road. We arrived late, drove around to the office, which was closed, as we expected, to get our site info which they said they would leave for us, and then discovered that our site was located back near the entrance. Our site was level. In the morning, I noticed that although the CG was practically empty, our site was located adjacent to their storage area where 4 or 5 old dirty trailers sat in weeds (not a pretty sight). I went over the office at 9am and the store was closed and had no posted hours. After lunch, we left for a few hours and while we were out, I received an email welcoming us to the CG and to “come down to the office to check in as soon as possible and pay your remaining balance.” Sometime during the late afternoon, I did just that, but the office was once again closed. I returned at 5:45pm and this time was greeted by a CG employee. I was not impressed with customer service after receiving that email. The public restrooms are clean but very dated. Had to hold shower valve open for shower. There is a lake with a swimming area on the property and the beach has several covered picnic tables. There are a couple of pavilions on the property, a volleyball court, softball field and game room. There is also a “barn” on the property. At least that’s what it’s called on the CG map. The barn is a small 2 story building that is located in the middle of a row of campsites. It really should be torn down because it’s about to fall down. It appears to me that this property may double as a swim club in the summer months (or did at some point in time). If we return here, it is only because we have family in the area and this most accessible CG to them. The campground as a whole seemed to need much cleanup and work. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Paradise Lake Family Campground

no  no  question  no  question  question  question  question  question  question
This "park" was not all that we had hoped for. It is simply a large open field with paved roads and level paved sites which we had expected, but we were surrounded by long-term residents in trailers that were in less than stellar condition. They have no facilities (bathrooms, showers, laundry) and no amenities. There are no tables or firepits. There is no store or laundry on the premises but there is a Walmart, laundromat, gas and fast food 5 minutes away. This is a place for a one or two night stay while visiting the Appomattox Courthouse National Park and the excellent Museum of the Confederacy which is directly across the street. We stayed here in a 33 foot fifth wheel and the rate quoted was with the Good Sam discount. Be aware that credit cards are NOT accepted. You must pay with cash or check. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
October 2013
The park is conveniently located if you are enjoying the surrounding activities of Appomattox and the Museum of the Confederacy. However, the RV park is a no-frills park. There are no bathroom facilities or anything else for that matter. The park is very simple with three rows of 10 sites each that are all very level. We stayed here for several nights enjoying the local activities and visiting our daughter in school in Lynchburg. The RV Park was only half full and the owners allowed us to park a separate vehicle and pull behind trailer on the site next to ours. My only concern with the RV Park is that it is not fenced and while there were no security issues of any kind, I felt somewhat uncomfortable as I travel with four children. Also, there is some road noise from the nearby highway, but not as much as my children make. We paid extra for 2 people above the standard rate of 4. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
This park is near the highway and easily accessed but plagued by road noise. Interior roads and sites are paved. Sites are generously sized, pull-through and level with grassy areas between sites. There is only minor shade, no landscaping and no privacy between sites. Basic utilities were good, wi-fi was reliable, AT&T phone reception was good but AT&T data was very weak. This works well as a stopover but no activities are available on site. The price reflects the Escapees discount. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Display older reviews for Parkview MHP & RV Park