Nearby Chesapeake, Virginia (Air Miles)
Locks Pointe
Taboo
Sams Club?I-64:290B 1501 Sam'S Circle (Located To Block)
I-64 Exit 290B
Bow Creek Golf Course
Szechuan Garden
Scale O' De Whale
Cypress Point Country C
Sams Club?I-264:18 3335 Virginia Beach Blvd (Located To Block)
Old Dominion University
Chesapeake Campground
2014-10-14 15:39:57
Chesapeake, Virginia
October 2014

no  yes  question  no  yes  no  yes  question  question  yes
no  question  question  no  yes  no  yes  question  question  no
October 2014
The long and short of it is only camp here if you want to canoe or bike around the Great Dismal Swamp. Our takeaway was that the Swamp should be renamed to "The Really Not so Bad Swamp" and this park should inherit the "Great Dismal" name. Starting at making the reservation it took 20 minutes on the phone. Then at check-in, we waited another 1/2 hour. Then the entrance gate doesn't go all the way vertical so I had to negotiate it so that didn't hit it with the trailer. To get to the campsite you drive way back including a nice tour of a RV storage yard that looks like a RV graveyard (but hey - you can inquire about buying abandoned RV's). The site had low-hanging trees that brushed our rig as we pulled in. The site is paved but so narrowly it's hard to get your rig entirely on the pavement. I plugged in our electric only to have the box spark and electric go dead (glad I had a regulator/surge suppressor in line already). They sent a tech who grabbed MY 30A to 50A adapter AND $300 surge suppressor to test with, only to receive a bigger spark and no power. We called to try and get a new site while he worked on the power pole but they couldn't move us fast enough and he got it working (again grabbing my gear without asking to do a final test with). The bathrooms are marginal, showers look more recent but not well-cleaned. Showering was an exercise in tolerating being scalded and frozen along with a 95db ceiling fan in your ear. No paper towels or hand dryers in the bathroom. Lots of seasonal residents with ill-kept places, but that suits the park as everything the park owns is ill-kept as well. With driving range, horses, train room, exercise room, rental bikes, rental canoes, sports courts, tractor displays...the RV park is simply trying to do too much and failing at all of it. It all needs maintenance. It's all run-down. The only upside to our stay here was that we met a really great family camped next to us and met nice people in the laundry room. Otherwise it was hard to see anything in the park that wasn't in some state of disrepair. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
This is a nice wooded park. The parking pads are adequate but in need of updating. Sewer hookups are for their permanent residents but the pump out is free and easily accessible. They will come to your site to pump out for $6. It is safe and all permanent campsites are well maintained. It is true that part of it looks like a trailer park, and the very back part has some very long term residents, but it is located near the dismal swamp trail and the staff is friendly. Pool closes at 8-- a little early for hot summer nights. Good Sam discount available. We camped here in a Motorhome.
I have stayed here for about a year (military duties). The location is nice due to being out if town but shopping and most places I needed were within 20 minute drive. The campground itself is definitely older. There are many things to do such as a driving range, swimming pools, horses, and most other things you would like to find at a campground. The place is a little run down and a lot of permanent residence which makes some areas feel more like a trailer park than a campground. All of the sewer hookups are taken by some of the really long time "campers". This required me to use a portable to dump my tanks or you can use their honey-wagon service ($6 for two tanks) to have your tanks pumped out. I stayed here out of necessity and would only stay in the future again out of necessity. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Chesapeake Campground

9   8   7   9   9   6   10   6
yes  yes  yes  question  question  no  yes  yes
yes  yes  yes  question  question  no  yes  yes
This is my family's favorite campground in the area. It is quiet, lots of trees, not crowded, and has a very friendly staff. My kids love the putt putt golf course and two large playgrounds. My wife and I like the fire pits, hiking trails, and spacious area. There is also a nice lake stocked with fish. One can also rent canoes or paddle boats. No water hook up to RV, but there are water spigots near every lot for fresh water. Only reason I don't give a 10, is the bathhouse isn't the most clean or modern, but hey, you're camping! Great, fun campground overall! We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
October 2012
The CG is run by the city of Chesapeake, Va. It has gravel/dirt sites, which were level. Some sites have electricity. Bathrooms clean but very rustic. Concrete walls hold the cold, so no showers for us wussy Florida types. Did laundry but had to call the ranger to make it work. They had changed how much the laundry cost but that was not listed anywhere. There was a long walk along a forest trail. It is a very wooded area. We ended up being the only people to stay the night at the CG which was a bit spooky. We camped here in a Motorhome.
October 2012
Nice wooded park. There is some road noise and if you can't sleep through "the sound of freedom" (military aircraft) you might want to consider another location. This place is close to several military bases, all with air support. Roads are gravel and sites are too. Showers were nice and clean with OK hot water. The pull through site we were at was easy to get into to, but we had to unhook the toad and back out of the site to get out. We pretty much had the place to ourselves with only 2 other campers in the CG. All in all a nice spot that's out of the city. I'd stay here again. They have some nice bike/hiking trails and in Oct bugs we're not an issue. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Northwest River Park Campground