Nearby Front Royal, Virginia (Air Miles)
Stadt Restaurant
Front Royal
Front Royal RV Campground
2014-07-11 18:42:34
Front Royal, Virginia

question  yes  yes  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  no  question
question  yes  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  no  question
We stayed there a single night as we were passing by. The main attraction was that the owners were willing to allow late-night check-in. The sites were far from level, but we did OK with our auto-leveler in our 37 foot rig. 50 amp power was OK. There was a pool, but we really didn't check anything out. The store had the basics, but some things had no prices, so the owner just made something up (though not unreasonable). We camped here in a Motorhome.
I concur with some of the comments posted by others. This is a former KOA that is run by a couple. I personally had a nice stay here. The owners were very friendly to me. They had limited Wi-Fi and I got my Dish tailgater to work. The issues I had were that the tenting areas did not look well maintained, the fishing pond dam broke resulting in a mud pit, there was trash along the fishing pond trail as well as some tent campsites and the store had what looked like items left by previous campers in it presumedly for sale. It looked like the owners were trying to maintain a large campground by themselves and were not able to get to everything. We camped here in a Motorhome.
October 2013
This place suffers from what can best be described as "ex-KOA syndrome." A number of parks have given up KOA affiliation because of the franchise costs. This one, unfortunately, was acquired by someone who did not undo all the Kampground of America stuff, including the name of the private road on which it's located, and some of the interior signage. It's not helped by the fact that the current owners appear to be an Asian couple who barely speak English. Cell phone signals are just about nonexistent in this part of the Blue Ridge, and the same is true of broadcast TV. But there's no cable TV here, and the wi-fi server the park owners mentioned was not usable. Fair enough: you don't go camping to watch TV or fiddle on Facebook, but we were here during a week of horrible weather, coupled with the federal government shutdown, and some news from the outside world would have been welcome. But digging deeper, there are some real maintenance issues with this park, and some dubious claims made in their advertising. The "meeting room" or whatever you'd call it appears not to have been used in years. The mini-golf course is a wreck. I doubt that either the water slide or swimming pool are operational in-season, and the pool was yucky and only partially drained. We stayed here a week, and the roadside trash cans that were full when we arrived were twice as full when we left. "Mister" owner seemed to be very eager to check out each RV site, almost as soon as the campers had turned the corner around the office to leave, yet there was trash left sitting in some of the tent-camping sites for days. It sounds cynical, but it almost seemed as though the owner was checking the RV sites in the hope of finding that someone had left behind something valuable that he could, um acquire for himself. Grounds maintenance is a shambles. There's not nearly enough ground cover, whether vegetation or gravel, so we were up to our ankles in muck. Some discarded bits of the railroad ties that mark off the campsites were underfoot, and the spikes holding the existing ties were sticking out of the ground. I spent some time correcting the tripping hazards just in our campsite. None of the water standpipes has a back-flow preventer (anti-siphon device), which I believe is a violation of the state health code. And the openings for the sewer hookups are about an inch below ground level! When I opened our sewer cap, I had to wait for a few gallons of standing groundwater to flow INTO the pipe before I could attach the hose from my coach. All this is a real shame, because the underlying layout of the park is quite nice (although you do drive through a dairy farm to get to it.) This place could be rehabbed into a very nice RV park by someone willing to close sections of it and re-do all the site work, but I don't think this current owner is that person. He seemed to stay very busy, but it wasn't obvious that he was accomplishing anything. Someone shoot me if I ever stay here again! We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Front Royal RV Campground
August 2012

yes (Stream)
1   5   1   9
question  no  question  no
question  no  question  no
August 2012
Warning: Read all reviews. I will add to what was not stated. First a very narrow rough dirt road entrance in a bad spot in the highway. The 82 year old owner was rude and greedy. Wanted extra $3.00 For the towed. Once she found out our holding tanks were near full she refused to let us use her dump station. Said she had just had her septic pumped and didn't want it filled up again. Not to mention a strong odor of alcohol as we conversed. She did agree to give us a refund. We would not recommend this park to anyone. We camped here in a Motorhome.
June 2009
So much potential...shaded sites, quiet stream. And then there was the nasty lady who runs the place and the trashy appearance of the campground itself. When we arrived there was one other camper already there. We were placed right next to them - no option for moving to a more secluded site. Owner/host never got out of her chair when we arrived. Never a friendly wave or 'hello'. Just give me your money - park over there. Campsite wasn't very level, filled with trash and cigarette butts. There was even a sign at the office encouraging campers to burn trash in the campfire. A bit of traffic noise but the deal breaker was the trash and host. We won't be back. We camped here in a Truck Camper.
June 2009
My wife and I have a small class C. We decided to stay here based on the review and the Web site. When we arrived we noticed garbage and leftover food all over a table outside the office, There was so much junk we had to walk around the patio to get to the office. On our way to the office an older lady came out of a trailer beside the office. We asked for a full hookup. She quoted $27 for a mostly grass pad. Then stated that it was a backin. I said ok, we will unhook the towed. She said in that case it would be an extra $3. I said no thanks and left. On our way out we looked at the sites. We are glad we passed this one by. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Gooney Creek

yes (River)
yes  question  yes  question  question  yes  question  yes  no  question
yes  question  yes  question  question  yes  question  yes  no  question
We stayed in C section. Sites are pull thru but extremely narrow. Not wide enough if you have slide and an awning. Very poor tv reception. WiFi is an additional cost. Do NOT purchase. Cost $3/day or 3 day for $5. Purchased 3 day plan got to use for day and a half. Spoke to office gave me a free day but the WiFi came up and then quit for the last 3 days of my stay. When it was up the connection were very very slow. We camped here in a Motorhome.
September 2012
We stayed here as part of our Coast to Coast membership. Some of the sites are along the Shenandoah River, but we stayed up on a hill in Section C. The site felt a little narrow, and if someone had been in the next site we would not have been able to put out the awnings, but opening the slides was no problem. The campground is quiet, though it seemed that several "seasonal" campers near us left for work very early in the morning. Although they don't have cable TV (and antenna channels were quite limited) they do have a club house with 2 satellite TVs available. The WiFi access is deceptive -- you can purchase a code for $3.00 per day, or $5.00 for 3 days, but the service was pretty slow and uneven, bumping us off time after time. All things considered we were quite comfortable here, the campground is very close to the north entrance to the Skyline Drive, and we would stay here again. We camped here in a fifth wheel. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
July 2012
Narrow unlevel sites. Power OK at about 110 volts. Nice pools, lakes are green ponds. Many sites ars occupied by seasonals. At the Passport America rate listed it is a acceptable deal. However $42 a night would be a deal breaker. No where, worth that amount. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for North Fork Resort

yes (River)
question  question
question  question
September 2012
Maybe just the first 6 sites have 50amp service. The rest are 30amp with some sewer hookups. All have water and all back up on a bank on the Shenandoah River. There is a boat ramp and apparently deep water with a little current that had me concerned about launching a kayak. We had to use 2x6's under the front tires to level and the soft ground absorbed about half of the boards under the jacks of our diesel pusher. The WiFi was strong and fairly fast. About half the sites seem to be seasonal. We camped here in a Motorhome.
August 2010
This campground is off Rt. 66, and there are signs on the highway and off to direct you. We've stayed here twice for a night. It is basically a large grassy area with a line of sites on the Shenandoah River and treed. There is a boat ramp and fishing in the river. Very peaceful and clean. Picnic tables and fire rings. You pick your spot and the owner comes around in the AM for payment. Seem to be some seasonals, but lots of sites available. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.

yes  yes  question  yes  question  no  question  no  question  yes
yes  yes  question  yes  question  no  question  no  question  question
We are here as RPI members and I expected a rate of $10 a night. However, upon arrival I was told that since my rig is wired for 50 amps I had to take a 50 amp site (normally 50 amp rigs have two air conditioners but ours has only one so we do fine on 30 amps) and that it was going to cost me another $5 a night. Then, when I paid with my credit card I was charged another $6. Our $10 a night quickly turned into almost $17 a night. The majority of the campground is in nice woods with a view of the mountains which pretty much surround the campground. However, we found ourselves in the last campsite parked in a small field - at least I was able to get satellite with no problems and we have a big front yard, sadly, there's no mountain view. There are several nice features here: a nice activity center, a big pool, a nifty mini-golf course, a min-chapel that hosts regular church services, and several activities scheduled for the weekend. We’re literally 10 minutes from Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park and about an hour from Washington DC. There’s strong Wi-Fi but it’s $3 a day. I’ve opted to stay on my Verizon hotspot even though it’s a weak 3G (and that's using a Wilson Sleek booster). I note that several reviews mention stinky water. We haven’t found that however my external water filter is now very dirty and needing to be changed after just five nights here. I'm giving the campground a 7 overall, but this particular site probably rates as a 5 or 6. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
The advertising of the "Resort/RV Park" led me to believe this would be better than what I actually observed. They messed up our joint reservations and the other party ended up with a very close quarters pull thru away from us. They claimed that our adjoining site was booked but no one ever occupied the site for the two days we were there. The water at this campground is terrible and they don't bother cutting or trimming overhanging branches that damage the trailers. I had to climb up on the roof to push limbs out of the way to extend or retract the slides. They have security but the individuals manning the security booth were older than Moses. One of the permanent guests had a trailer home and was burning green vegetation that smoked up the whole end of the campground we were parked in but no one from security did anything about it. Do yourself a favor and drive on by this campground it looks okay from the road but that's all. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
September 2012
Stayed as Coast to Coast. CC directory showed cable but not available. Brown water. Staff stated it was well water and nothing could be done to correct. Club house is nice. Site was level. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Display older reviews for Skyline Ranch Resort