219034 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Ripley, West Virginia (Air Miles)
Wal-Marti-77:138 120 Mcgraw St (Located To Block)
Old Lock
2012-05-05 16:53:30
Ripley, West Virginia
August 2006

August 2006
This is a mobile home park that rents their unused spaces to campers, that means no shower houses, no camp store, etc. The campground is located very near the Mountain State Arts and Crafts Festival site. The owners are very nice people and live right on the grounds. The campground was very quiet although kind of crowded. There were few trees in the camping area, but on the edge of the area was a stream and many trees. It would be nice if they would develop this area for camping. We camped here in a Tent Trailer.
April 2012

April 2012
The best thing about this campground is the kids’ playground. They have several wooden climbing towers, with swings, slides, and playhouses. The playground is in the center of the circular drive, while RV parking spaces are around the outside of the circular drive. It’s a small park, with only 15 spaces. Our space (#2) had water, 30 amp electrical service, and a sewer dump pipe. There were a few trees nearby, but none that I noticed provided shade for any of the sites. There is a “Country Store” across the street that also serves as the office for the RV park. A tiny Methodist church next door has services on Sunday mornings. The church and the store are both an easy walk from any of the RV sites. That said, I really didn’t like the location. Their web site indicates that they are “... on the shores of Lake O’Brien...”, but the only water I saw was down a steep hill behind our site, and separated from the campground by a public parking lot. It was a river that ran nearby. Maybe some of the cabins that they rent are closer to the lake, but I don’t find a lake near the campground on Google Maps. Unless you intend to sit and watch your kids play, I didn’t find much to do at the actual campground. To get to other activities will require you to drive five miles on one of the worst access roads I have taken for many years. It is also the main road to the campground. Admittedly, we were driving to the campground on this narrow, winding road after dark (about 9:00 p.m.), and I tow a 36-foot long, 8.5-foot wide trailer. Fortunately, on a Saturday evening at that time there is limited traffic along that road. There are limited spots along this road where approaching vehicles can pass each other and even fewer where you can pull out of the way of a vehicle that is behind you. It’s a little easier during the daytime, but the road doesn’t get any wider or straighter. This road is the worst feature of the campground, and it’s not under their control. They could have helped with a few well-placed signs. At night, we didn’t see the “five miles” note on the sign that marked the turn off Cedar Lakes Road. After traveling about three miles, we finally stopped at a house where the lights were on to confirm that we hadn’t missed a turn. The homeowner told me to keep going. A few signs at selected intersections as well as an occasional sign to inform drivers of the remaining distance would have boosted my confidence a lot. The campground did not show on either of my two GPS units, but Google Maps does show it. Unfortunately I had not printed a map out prior to driving there. The narrow, winding, five-mile drive often involved intersections where it wasn’t clear which way to turn, especially since the name of the main road changed more than once as we traveled along it. If I could have found a place to turn around, I would have gone back to look for a rest area on the Interstate (I-77) or a Wal-Mart. All we needed was a place to spend the night, we weren’t there for all the fun. I marked the location of the campground into my GPS, not because I ever intend to return, but rather so that TomTom can get the data the next time I upload map corrections. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn’t. The campground itself is acceptable, but the access to it is not. Oh, did I mention the five-mile long, winding, narrow road? We camped here in a Travel Trailer.